Tony Bates, well known thinker and author on distance and online learning has published his 2020 Vision: Outlook for online learning in 2014 and way beyond.
In his vision he outlines 9 main points:
- The disappearance of online learning as a separate construct
- Multi-mode delivery concentrated in fewer institutions – but more diversity
- Multi-purpose, open delivery, with multiple levels of service and fees
- Goodbye to the lecture-based course
- Goodbye to the written exam – and welcome to the final implementation of lifelong learning
- New financial models
- Systematic faculty development and training
- Devolved decision-making and organizational models
- Student privacy, data security and student online behaviour will become more difficult
The replacement of lectures has been predicted for many years now. The emergence of the flipped classroom has given us a viable alternative. What do you think? Which predictions do you agree with?