Walanga Muru, in conjunction with Reconciliation Australia and the Macquarie University RAP Working Group, are excited to release Macquarie University’s Inaugural Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP). Join this exciting journey and get involved!
The release of the first MQ Reconciliation Action Plan (RAP) is a significant step forward for Macquarie University and its local Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Community (the Darug nation) and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff and students.
Complimenting the Indigenous Strategy 2016 – 2025 (explained here), the RAP is a university-wide plan that details Macquarie’s commitment to reconciliation. The following diagram is a snapshot of the Macquarie University Reconciliation Action Plan. For the full document, please visit the Reconciliation page:
What can you do? How can you join the Reconciliation journey and get involved?
- Consider becoming or nominating an internal RAP ambassador to join Macquarie’s reconciliation journey.
- Become part of the RAP advocates program to promote the RAP.
- Attend an annual Macquarie University Reconciliation event, with awards recognising reconciliation achievements.
- Develop cross-University partnerships with Walanga Muru to facilitate support for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students.
- Explore opportunities to include Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledges into curriculum. The Connected Curriculum project is already underway and a working group has been established.
- Promote cultural respect initiatives such as Acknowledgement of Country in your email signatures and PowerPoint slides.
Walanga Muru would like to partner with Offices, Faculties and Departments to implement the RAP across the university. If you would like to be involved, please contact Alex Swain email@example.com.
Written by Jennifer Gili and Alex Swain from Walanga Muru