We are an institution based on reasoning and evidence based research, so why are we denying the research which overwhelmingly supports the benefits of having dogs in the workplace? Are you in favour? Are you with me? Let’s make this happen!
Full disclosure, most people know that I am biased when it comes to dogs. I love them and I openly admit my dog has been the best thing to happen to me.
6 Rock Solid Benefits
- Dogs reduce stress
- Dogs help to improve health
- Dogs increase productivity
- Dogs increase creativity
- Dogs increase coworker cooperation and communication
- Dogs increase workplace morale and sense of job satisfaction
Need more? Professor Kerstin Uvnas-Moberg from the Karolinska Institute, Sweden studies oxytocin, the feel-good, bonding hormone. Uvnas-Moberg conducted a study using human and dog blood samples over three stages of human-dog engagement. The results showed that both humans and dogs release oxytocin during petting. The benefit? Oxytocin is known to slow the heart rate and blood pressure, leading to reduced levels of stress. A win for wellness at work, wouldn’t you say?
“Pet presence may serve as a low-cost, wellness intervention readily available to many organizations and may enhance organizational satisfaction and perceptions of support. Of course, it is important to have policies in place to ensure only friendly, clean and well-behaved pets are present in the workplace.”
What considerations or guidelines would we need in place?
Only responsible dog owners need apply, that goes without saying. Even though I just said it.
- How many people are in favour, neutral or opposed to the idea?
- Consider everyone’s opinions and address concerns
- Establish a volunteer committee to oversee a Dogs at Work policy
- Establish guidelines for dogs to meet such as being toilet trained, happy amongst people, vaccinated and flea treated, social with other dogs
- Have a trial days for dogs
- Identify areas that should be dog-free such as kitchens and bathrooms
- Identify dog relief areas and ensure responsible disposal of said relief
What do you think? Leave a comment below.