Here are some quick refresher points about the Library as we set off into a new year and a new session. They’ll be useful for your own information, as well as addressing any student questions.
“Walking the stacks in a library, dragging your fingers across the spines — it’s hard not to feel the presence of sleeping spirits.”
― Robin Sloan,
- Visit mq.edu.au/library to find information on borrowing, research skills, library facilities, copyright and much more.Visit Learning Skills for information on assignments and academic writing.
3. The Reserve collection contains course readings & other high demand material available for 3 hour loan. Online book chapters and journal articles accessed via the Unit Readings tab in MultiSearch
4. Face-to-face assignment and research support for all students and staff is available at the Information Desk, level 2, which is staffed by a trained Librarian and a Learning Skills Adviser is there 12:00-2:00 Monday to Friday.
5. Subject & Research Guides can help students get started with their assignment. libguides.mq.edu.au/home
6. Help students improve their research and/or their academic writing skills. They can self-enrol in InfoWISE, StudyWISE and the Academic Integrity Module.ilearn.mq.edu.au
7. Contact your Research Librarian to support your teaching and research activities, advise you on the best sources of information for your research, demonstrate the latest research impact tools.
8. There are a variety of study spaces on all library levels for group work and silent study. Look for the signs and be considerate of others. Items left unattended for more than 15 minutes may be placed on the floor
9. 200 computers are available on levels 1 & 2. Log-in using the OneID. Bring a USB or save to the cloud .
10. Ultrabooks, iPads and laptop lockers are available for loan. See staff at service points for more information.
I can’t resist this cheeky quote to finish:
“Don’t mark up the Library’s copy, you fool! Librarians are Unprankable. They’ll track you down! They have skills!”
― Charles Ogden
But on a more encouraging note:
“An original idea. That can’t be too hard. The library must be full of them.”
― Stephen Fry